We bring in the kids for jumping, but who’s behind all the fun? Here a brief history session and a few fun facts about inflatables castles and bounce houses!
- They were invented in 1959! An engineer from Louisiana named John Scurlock designed the first bounce house. He also pioneered inflatable tents, domes and safety air cushions.
- “Space Walks” was one of the first companies to provide this service! Based in New Orleans, this space was filled with inflatable mattresses called “space pillow,” and quickly started evolving with more inflatables.
- It’s the moonwalk! The term was bouncing on these was referred to as “moonwalk,” because it felt like you were walking on the moon.
- Safety measures weren’t developed until way later! About 8 years later (1967), Scurlock ran into issues with safety precautions because there wasn’t any sort of enclosure. He added a pressurized inflatable top and two fans. Walls and circulating air were added later.
- The water slide was invented after! In the 90’s, Spurlock’s son invented the inflatable water slide at his rental company and called it the “Aqua Tunnel.”
Want more? Visit this site for more info on the history behind inflatables! And don’t forget to make Fun-E Farm your family bouncing center in Kingston, NY this fall! Give us a call today at 845-514-2431 or visit our website for more information on open bouncing hours, birthday parties and more.